Join us Saturday, August 19th from 8am – 12pm for the third BioBlitz of 2023. Lost River Cave is partnering with Wild Ones Southern Kentucky Chapter to inventory native plants in bloom in the meadow.
Participants will have a brief introduction to the native plants that have been added to the meadow since 2019. Pictures of these native species will be available to help with plant identification. You can also use the iNaturalist or Seek apps to aid in identification. This is a great opportunity to practice plant ID skills with experienced members there to help if needed.
What is a BioBlitz?
It’s an inventory of living things. Our BioBlitz will check for the presence of native flowers, sedges, and grasses that have been planted in the meadow. The area is gridded off to make it easier to keep track of it all. This activity is part of the ongoing effort to restore the meadow and collect data to guide its ongoing restoration plan to benefit the wildlife in this special habitat. Please join us in this worthwhile venture.
- What do I need to wear? We recommend wearing pants, long sleeves, and closed-toed shoes.
- What do I need to bring? Bring gardening gloves, a reusable water bottle, and a hat for shade. If you don’t have gloves, we’ll have some that you can borrow.
- What age can participate? We recommend participants be over the age of 10, but all ages are welcome. Children 17 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
- Are there restrooms? Restrooms are available inside the gift shop when the shop is open, but not at the BioBlitz site.
- Can I use this event for service hours? This event is great for anyone who needs service hours. Bring any needed documentation with you. We’ll complete it at the BioBlitz.
- What if the weather is bad? The BioBlitz is weather-dependent. If needed, we’ll coordinate a rescheduled date.